Sunday, July 20, 2008

Assess the fit of your suits

For small thingies like us... it is absolutely important to fit your suit. But that's pretty much impossible. So... you probably have to tailor.

I was working around orchard area just yesterday and saw a lot of tailors. The prices are like... $160 and over for a very basic tailored suit. There's some in far east plaza, orchard towers near cuppage area etc.

I think that's the base price. No frills bottoms etc. too steep for me lah!

If you have just started working and can afford only the ready to wear pieces than bo pian loh... you have to fit your suits.

When I wore my first suit, it felt very uncomfy.

Felt like it it was very bulky but my mum and sis kept saying it is supposed to be liddat one...

Then I was thinking... how come other people loook so pro, I look like this kid trying to fill the suit?

So here you go: Six tips to make sure you fill your suits properly!

1) The shoulders should fit properly

2) The lapel lays nicely on both side of the chest area.

3) Try buttoning up --> it should not be too tight anywhere --> make sure there aren't any stretch marks. Also, if you are buying suits from Osmose do beware, their jackets tend to shrink after 1-2 washes.

4) Check your back profile in the mirror. Make sure there aren't any bulges (don't think of notti stuff!)

5) SLEEVES! I always need to alter them. So how long should your sleeves be? They fit right at the top of your hand. I've mentioned in my previous post it should costs around $6-8 to alter jacket sleeves. Iora is doing it for $6 the last time I checked.

6)Try moving around and make sure it feels comfy!

I found this really good video on how to ensure a good fit for your suit, except that the lady keeps repeating some words... a bit funny. Good entertainment can watch!






No comments: