Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dinner at Mad Jack's Cafe

I was at Cathay two days back and had a craving for quality comfort food full of red juicy meat and heaps of carb laden potatons. Aston's is the natural choice, but the queue was so long, I think my gastric juices might burn a hole through me if we waited so we (SO and I) decided to try out Mad Jack's Cafe at Paradiz centre instead.

Here's my review!


What:
Western fare that's just a tad more expensive than Aston but on par with Botak Jones pricing. They have steaks, chops, baked rice, pasta, cakes etc. Check out the menu here

We tried:

The tallest burger in Town - The Blue Mountain Beef Burger and chips (Candid diner photo on the left, WYSIWYG)

Three chewy beef patties topped with minimal vegetables and two slices of dairy cheese goodness. Plus a generous helping of spicy fries. Costs $9.90.

Two people can share this burger if you are not intending to eat too much. The beef patty is easily the size of my palms (but I have small palms lah... don't get so excited k?)

It tastes good but not exceptionally so. If you are in the mood for meat, this will fix it just right. Only thing --- the patty tasted a tad more floury. Other than that, all good. Try the Fries, they may be a side but they are really good. I love potatoes.

We also tried:

Grilled chicken in black pepper sauce ($7.90)

My favorite order at untested eating places. You just can't go wrong with black pepper grilled chicken right? Anyway, this is just nice!

I was intrigued by the side --- Apple peach salad. When the dish came, I zoomed in on the side. Actually was a bit disappointed. Wasn't fresh peaches was canned peaches with a small cube of apple. So this is really like a more meat and potatoes kinda place. I found that Aston's kinda more healthy (their house salad is fantastic, k... i digress). Again I love the fries. Chicken was well marinated and nicely grilled. All in all a pleasant meal.

Overall ambiance:
We were there on a monday night so there wasn't too many people. There are nice couches around and the atmosphere is really relax. There's free internet access too. Great place for chill outs. Hopefully the kids don't discover this place soon. Or it will be flooded with project groups.

Where:
Mad Jack Cafe
Selegie Outlet - Paradiz Centre 01-04/05, 1 Selegie Rd
For other outlet locations click here

Note:
My main gripe, they don't serve PUB water. Need to pay for your mineral water. If not, a can of coke costs $2. So we opted for one of their juice mixes. Okay lah... just juice loh... costs $4 each.

Will revisit! Hee :)

And will try try their dessert. The cake slices look humongous!

No comments: